Here at Skip It Containers, we make sure that everything thrown into our skips is recycled correctly. It reduces pollution, conserves energy, saves natural resources and is simply a more responsible way of disposing of waste. On a smaller scale, recycling also saves the council money, which is an added incentive for recycling around the home.
However, it can be difficult to get into the habit of recycling if you are unsure where to start! Fret not – we have some top tips for recycling more around the home.
1. Seek out a space in your home to keep your recycling box or bin. This could be in your kitchen next to your waste bin, or in a cupboard. You could even leave it in the hallway – that way you will be reminded to empty it every time you leave the house.
2. If you have the space, invest in a storage system with different compartments for paper, plastic and aluminium.
3. If you are not sure what can be recycled in your area, the website for your local council will have all the information you need.
4. Some councils offer reward schemes for recycling so make sure you register and start earning points or rewards for your efforts!
5. Have you thought about composting? Once you have set up a bin in the garden, you can add all sorts of kitchen waste.
6. Encourage kids by awarding a sticker for every item recycled, or turning trips to the recycling centre into a fun activity.
7. Empty shampoo bottles, toothpaste boxes and toilet rolls can all be recycled, so make sure to include a small recycling bin or bag in your bathroom.
8. Having a sort out? Remember to recycle when decluttering by sorting your rubbish into piles, rather than shoving everything into the same bin bag.
9. Clothes and shoes can be donated to a local charity shop; if they are not right for re-selling, the shop will send them for recycling. You will also be able to find designated banks at your supermarket or a local car park.
10. When it comes to disposing of your old electronics, such as your mobile phone, did you know that you could earn some extra cash by recycling? There are plenty of websites offering this service, with varying prices paid depending on the age of your items.
We hope this has been useful for finding new ways to recycle at home! If you are having a spring clean and would like some extra help recycling, one of our small skips would do the trick! Our team would be more than happy to help recycle everything for you.